Friday, May 19, 2006

Where Are You Guys?

 
  Well, Every morrning I have been rushing out the door to track down my illlsive family. I start each day with a hopefull and positive attidude and by late afternoon, my rear end is dragging and my eyes are closing on their own.
 
First day out I found when my Irish grandmother came to the U.S.  Her name was Nora Reidy from County Kerry Ireland.  She was 15, came alone and arrived here in 1906 on the S.S. Arabic, sailing from Queenstown, Ir. to Boston, Ma.  Her passage was $2.50, certainly not first class!   Now my Irish grandfather is another story.   Michael J . McGrail from Mayo Ireland.   Can't find  his correct age, when he left Ireland or where he landed in the U.S.   I did find him on the Massachusetts 1910 census.  By the 1920 census, he was married to Nora and had three children.   Maybe he was a storaway.
I am begiining to be angry with him to tell you the truth.
 
Next  I have been looking for my English grandparents.   My grandmother Ada Jones Egerton died in 1902 in Chorlton , which I think is in Manchester England.   When she died the three children ( one being my mother) were placed in an orphanage (don't know which one).  Also don't know what happened to grandfather then.  The family was all together in the 1901 census.  Can't find out when he died either.  Gosh, I wish I had asked more questions when my parents were alive.  Water over the dam now, I guess.
 
Did you all notice that the troubles I had this week all involved MEN!!!  Can you tell I'm not a happerr camper?
 
 
 
So all in all I did not have a very productive week.  I had hoped to find more.  It's very hard when your family history in another country. 
 
Have a good weekend.   I'll get some pictures over the weekend and I'll be in a better mood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how confusing it can be to find family history.  I spent much time on it and several trips and came up with a lot of interestin material --bad part is I lost most of it on my computer and the hard copies I can't find sence the move!!  
--My thought are with Ya , Granny Hugs, MARY  

Anonymous said...

How interesting!  I have Irish ancestors too that came over from County Mead.  

Krissy at Hope Lodge
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting that you are finding your ancestors. How young Nora was when she travelled all the way from Queenstown (now known as Cobh), Co. Cork to America and all alone too. She must have been a remarkable young lady. Kerr is the county next door to Cork, very rural, mountainous and, in those days, economically deprived. It is not like that now with its thriving tourist industry, with tourists from all over the world coming to spend time there, especially Americans. I come from Cork, and have been to Cobh many times. It is where the Titanic sailed from on her fateful maiden voyage. All of the big liners from Cunard and the White Star Line called into Queenstown, en route from France and Southhampton, England. There is a fantastic visitor centre in Cobh where you can find out about the liners and many of their passengers. It is well worth a visit if you ever get to Ireland. Good luck with your search, you have a very interesting family background,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Dear Dawn ,I think what you have found out so far is interesting enough,keep seaching ,you may go on some false trails but in the end the outcome will be interesting , What a tough little lady Nora was !You know my partner Maurice is Irish ,his family hail from in and around Limerick.......we went to Ireland a couple of years ago I loved it ..the country ,the people ,the green ness beautiful country  ,oh and the guinness!.......Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I also like doing genealogy.. have you checked the ellis island records? Perhaps one of them came through there.. your grandfather perhaps the one who you couldn't find? I found my great grandmother and some of her family on their records online.. Good luck with that! :) Mel

http://journals.aol.com/myheartsaysso2/WhereTheHeartIs/

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing great tracing your roots.  I haven't had the energy to take on such a task.  I just have relied on what I was told by the elders in the family.  Luckily, my brother has such a memory and was so interested in it in his youth that he asked lots of questions. He's still telling me tales of our family.
I look forward to more pictures and stories of your travels.
Pam