Tuesday, March 8, 2005

Los Algodones, Mexico

Yesterday we went to Los Algodones, Mexico with friends Mary and Chuck for the day.   It took only 4 hours which included stopping for breakfast.  Algodones is only 10 miles from Yuma,  Arizona.  It has a variety of local merchants and restaurants.  Vendors are lined up on each side of the sidewalks selling a wide variety of merchandise.    Hand embroider clothing, jewelry, linens, lawn ornaments, wood carving,leather items and racy t-shirts.

  The most popular draw here to Mexico is the health  care providers offering an affordable alternative to  our own high costs.   This is a very small area that can be walked seeing everything in about 1 hour maybe 15 minutes more.  In this small area nestled with shops and cantinas there are at least 40 dentists, 9 optical shops, doctors and surgeons and a dermatologist.  Now if all these medical folks don't help you to feel better there is a good number of liquor stores.  Cheap booze seems to be a big draw here also.   

 I had a dental check up with a dentist recommended to me by friends and was pleased with his up to date equipment and cleanliness of his office.  His diplomas on the wall were from the U.S. as were his wife's, who is also a dentist.  The office was full of Americans having a wide variety of work done.  The wait was long as they were behind but time passed quickly chatting with everyone there.    Bottom line, I need a tooth pulled!  Oh how I dislike going to the dentist.  Boo hoo.  I wish I had bought some of that cheapo booze to make myself feel better. LOL   Have an appointment next Monday.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those airbrush artists are amazing! I want to smuggle one to my house to paint a wall in my family room. LOL

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I must keep in mind about the doctors. The pictures were enticing ...I'd like to visit there myself.
Cheap booze ain't bad either. Do the customs people really get on you coming back?
Kathy

Anonymous said...

I never went to Mexico.

http://hometown.aol.com/kemh632/page1.html

Anonymous said...

The only part of Mexico I've visited is Cancun, which is so American-ized, it doesn't represent the true country.
I'd like to see more of the country, but off the beaten path.  
Good luck in your travels, be safe.
Rick

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the name (s) of the dentists?  There are hundreds of them! Am looking for one.

Anonymous said...

4 hrs from where like we know where u started from stupid ppl in this world omg  i been there its fun not much in town about 2 - 3 blocks   of shopping  robo

Anonymous said...

Rainbow

The dentist I went to was Dr Daniel R. Del Toro
Lives in California and has his practice in MX.
Email    torosi@prodigy.net.mx

Get there early    Good luck.   Dawn