Sunday, March 13, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Irish Blessings    

One of my favorite holidays is St. Patrick's Day.  My father was Irish and he was always very proud of it.  I remember as a small child he would take me into Boston for the big parade and then to the South End for the gathering of the family clan.  There was plenty of food and dancing.  It was a sense of belonging and happy times.  Corned beef and cabbage, soda bread, and black pudding.  

Irish music was blasting from the record player and some even did the Irish jig.  It was an all day and into the night  gathering for us.  But I suspect it started days before we arrived and continued after we left.    My mother never came with us but  I suspect that she as an English women could only take so much of the Irish at a time.  LOL  

 I'll leave you with a few  Irish blessings.  

 May you live as long as you want,
And never want as long as you live.
 

 May you have warm words on a cold evening,
A full moon on a dark night,
And the road downhill all the way to your door.

 
May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.

  God Bless  

      

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too. I love the blessings. thanks. *Barb*
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful holiday!  I love the Irish Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Irish blessings. I need em.