Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Cancer took my friend today

    Cancer took my friend today   Her name was June.  We worked together a number of years before her retirement.  She was one of those people who wore a mask to hide her sorrows.  June was a single mother who struggled with finances all her life, but was always ready for a laugh, share a joke or dance to her favorite Frank Sinatra  music , New York, New York.

When we went home this past summer June was in a rehab with a broken hip.  Within two weeks she was home and taking care  of herself.  

 I was able to call her weekly but had I not  known she was ill, I never would have suspected it.  She was always upbeat and more interested on where we were and what we were doing.  I will miss our chats.  Tomorrow would have been her  birthday.

 Rest in peace my friend.  I will never forget you.

   
I Did Not Die

Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

Melinda Sue Pacho

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn I'm so sorry for you losing your friend. It's sad that she went home from the hospital with no help. Sounds like the cancer wore her down, to bad she had to have the hip surgry. I love the poem below. Your in my thoughts.
***Becky

Anonymous said...

DAWN, I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. SHE SOUNDED LIKE A WONDERFUL LADY AND I KNOW YOU WILL MISS HER GREATLY.
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I am so sorry.  I have no words but I do have strong arms.  {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Deb

Anonymous said...

Dawn:  Got your message and am so very, very, very sorry for your lost.  A best friend is more than just family, a friend is sometimes one you share your thoughts and feelings with when you don't think your family will understand.  I know June will be greatly missed.  May God bless you and all those close to your heart.

Judi

Anonymous said...

That's so sad. I feel for her child/children. It's hard to lose a parent at this time of year.