Thursday, June 15, 2006

Wall Drug

Wall Drug
 
We began seeing signs for Wall Drug 50 miles before we got there. These signs offered free icewater, 5 cent coffee, free coffee and donut to veterans and a host of other enticing offerings.      It's like a brain wash to stop there after reading all the signs.  I don't see how anyone could drive by without stopping.
 
What started out as a drug store is now a massive general store of 72,000 square feet, selling everything from western wear, black hills gold, food and jewelry.   A sign out front states that seating capacity is up to 530 in their cafe.
 
The Wall Drug began in 1931, during the great depression, by giving away free ice water to thirsty travelers. They built their reputation on friendly service and today this family owned business continues in this fashion.
 
I noticed on this visit they have a section out back that is called their back yard.   It's a great place for kids to unwind.  It like a playground and the favorite among the younger set is a hugh hokey Tyrannosaurus Rex  who belches smoke and makes very loud noises every 14 minutes.  Now I know you are all want to see this guy.
 
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved you pictures great . Sound like a great place to visit and a glass of iced water just the ticket on a hot day. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Dawn what an amazing place how lovely to find somewhere still carrying on family traditions ,Iwould be happy to spend some time there ....thanks for sharing this lovely experiance ..........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

What a neat sounding place!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a place I'd love to visit!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

those WALL DRUG signs are practically everywhere.    i once saw one in NY state.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Wall Drug - you are educating me about the USA every day!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Kind of reminds me of the See Rock City signs and bird houses.  :-)

Anonymous said...

I never heard of Wall Drug, what a great place that is...I loved the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
I am AOL's Guest Editor next week and I am featuring your amazing blog in my top 8 picks. Hope that more people find your journal next week,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/