Thursday, October 12, 2006

Alabama

 
Yesterday we went to the beach at the Gulf Coast.   While we were there they had large equipment on the beach moving large amounts of pure white sand around.  We also saw signs announcing a National Shrimp Festival there in just two days.  We must stay here for that we thought.  So here we are.    We are staying until Friday before leaving for Louisiana.
 
A few days ago we took a ride to Pensacola, Florida for the day.   We enjoyed the beach, 52 miles of it,  but could not help but notice all the rebuilding in the beach area of homes, hotels, and rental units mostly high off the ground on stilts.  The colors selected for the new buildings are wonderful, soft yellow, pale green, salmon, beige, and pinks.   I am sorry I didn't take any pictures of the houses.
 
Pensacola is home to the Navel Air Station and home to the famous Blue Angels.
 
 
Today we went back to the Gulf Shore for the National Shrimp Festival.  Crowds, music, crafts,  and all kinds of food to tempt the pallet.   Neither Bob or I need a lot of tempting to succumb to temptation.   The offerings were Crawfish Pie, Gumbo, Polish sausage, shrimp, chicken, red beans and rice, and pork.  Can't remember it all.   We selected fried crawfish tails, and a seafood plate and then a fennel cake just because we like them! 
 
We leave tomorrow for Louisiana.  Hope I can find Wi-Fi
 
Gas $2.14
Diesel $2.69

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures ,and now you made me feel hungry too I love sea food too , happy traveling ,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great journey, and I think the people along the coast there are grateful for a benevolent hurricane season this year. Gas in the UK: $8.30 a gallon.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I love gulf shores. We have 2 condos there at orange beach. Havent been in a while. Have enough fun for me!!
hugs
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again. The pictures are beautiful. I lived in Florida a couple differnet times in my life. Love it there in the winter.

The Shrimp Fest. sounds soo good. My mouth was watering as I looked at the pictures of the food.

I never liked the houses down there by the beaches with the tall stilt like bottoms. They just did not seem to make me feel any safer during the hurricane season.

Glad you are having a good time.

Toodles,

Tia                                      http://journals.aol.com/trishaham/TiasTales/


Anonymous said...

Wow!! You are living my dream!! Me and my husband dream about traveling around like you are one day. Until then I will read your journal and see how it's done! Have fun.
Trish
http://journals.aol.com/gosso23/my-breast-cancer-story/

Anonymous said...

All that food looks so good have a nice day off for my breakfast. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

SOunds like  a perfectly lovely time. Enjoy the beaches while you can.

Our gas has gotten down to 1.98 for regular.  :-)

Deb

Anonymous said...

The photos are great Dawn, really feel like I can smell the delicious food, especially that fennel cake. Wonder why every building is on stilts?
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/