Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Salt Lake City

  Our primary reason for this visit to Salt Lake is to do research at the History Center.   This library is the largest repository of genealogical records in the world.  Just entering the door, I feel like a kid in a candy store.   On this visit I concentrated on my mother's English heritage.    She was orphan at a young age and sent to the states to be raised by an aunt.   I found out my grandmother died in childbirth at the age of 37  and when my grandfather died six years later at age 44.  

 On the way home from the library we stopped at Chuck-A-Rama for dinner.  It was delicious.  

 One  of the amazing sites to see here is the Kennecott Utah Copper's Bingham Canyon Mine.   This is a copper, gold and silver mine.  It has been nicknamed "the Richest Hole on Earth."  

Bingham Canyon is also the biggest hole on earth. As the largest of all man-made excavations, Bingham Canyon is more than a half-mile deep. If the world's tallest building, the 1,454-foot-high Sears Tower, were placed at the bottom of the pit, it would reach only halfway to the mine's rim. The Bingham Canyon open pit stretches more than 2.5 miles across at the rim and covers 2,000 acres. Its immensity makes it the only manmade feature visible to the naked eye from the orbiting space shuttle.   The only other man made object visible from space is the Great Wall of China, or so I'm told.

Take care of each other, we're off to Wyoming tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST FIND THIS FASCINATING AND CANT WAIT TO READ WHAT YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT YOUR FAMILY! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!
THE PHOTOS ARE GREAT, AND I ENJOYED READING ABOUT THE TIME YOU SPENT IN UTAH , VERY MUCH!
BE SAFE AND KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR SEARCH!
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos...I have to laugh at the orange flags. Are the drivers that oblivious in Utah??? LOL

Anonymous said...

Looks like your traveling a bit.

Gabreael
http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

amazing, love the pix, thanks for sharing the journey :-)

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pics, as always.  The area you are in now, I haven't seen since I was a kid.  Once again I am living vicariously through your adventures.  LOL