Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Santa Fe, NM.

Sunday April 18th    The Miracle Staircase        We are still in Albuquerque but took a ride to Santa Fe about 1 hr away.  One of the things we were interested in was the Loretto Chapel.  It is best know  for the legend of its "miraculous staircase."  It seems that the Sisters of Loretto asked in a novena for a carpenter who could build them a spiral choir staircase for a small fee.  This carpenter appeared at their door and agreed to build the staircase.  He used a saw, hammer, carpenters square, wood and hot water to bend the wood.  No nails were used and it is considered an engineering marvel.  It was built without center or side supports.   When it was finished the carpenter vanished without pay.   We visited several shops and art galleries all in Old Town.   There was also another old interesting church there.  It was the San Miguel Church which is the oldest church structure in the USA.   The original adobe and alter were built by Tlaxcalan Indians from Mexico in 1610.   After all that walking around I was to tired to cook and was forced to go out to dinner.  LOL     When we got back the office was still open and I was able to post my journal notes from Friday.   We are staying here until Tuesday.  Maybe  I'll be able to post this Monday.
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We thought the Miracle Staircase was pretty neat, also!!   Loved Santa Fe!!!   Don't miss Old Town!    Gashnoon@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Great pictures.  Awesome staircase.  Enjou--be well---stay safe---Love you.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures.  I am loving your journey and adventures.  I feel like I am there with you.  That's a good thing, because I could use a nice long vacation.

Anonymous said...

isn't that what Sydney Poitier did in the Lilies of The field? Build them a chapel with a staircase? Or am I a ditzy blonde.

Anonymous said...

amazing pictures dawn - love taking these trips with you..

that spiral staircase was made without nails...how amazing..do they use it?

Anonymous said...

He, I hope your having fun! I changed the title of my journal.

Mike+

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!
V