Saturday, May 15, 2004

U.S. Corps of Engineers Campgrounds

This Sunday we are going to Cumming, Georgia to meet up with two other couples at Lake Lanier.  I don't know if you all have visited any of the Corp of Engineer Parks ( COE) but they are usually the cleanest and best in the country.  The grounds are well kept and the sites are large, and  nicely spaced for privacy.  The last few times we have been here we had water front sites. We were not able to make reservations as all their reserve sites are filled already for Memorial Day.  By coming in Sunday, we're hoping to get unreserved sites. Recently many of the COE parks have been leased to the states or counties.  Often when this happens, we find an increase in fees and a decrease in quality of services offered, which includes the loss of  the park rangers for security.  We would like to see these facilities continue to be operated by the U.S. COE.  It was federal tax dollars which were used to build these parks. and we feel they should remain under federal control.   And now I will climb of the soap box.   I'll take some pictures for you, but not sure when they can be posted as there is no modem available there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I just started reading your journal and your life sounds so exciting!  I would some day love to do the same.  Just a few weeks ago, my husband and I moved from Rhode Island (Newport area) to Fort Wayne, IN.  Where were you in Indiana?? I am from here and I really do love it, but miss RI, too. Sniff Sniff.  Oh well...it will be nice to vacation there, too....Good luck and best wishes for your journey! Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Cumming, GA! Wow, you'll only be about 10 miles from us.  I hope you have a great time! ! !

Anonymous said...

Mike's brother Paul & hiwwife Carol, just moved from Florida, to statesboro, Georgia.  Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  Love you both very much!!